Saturday, February 25, 2012

Idli Milagai Podi

One of the must haves for the kitchen, esp., if you are making idlis or dosas quite often. Each of us make our own version of the podis. All the recipes are very tasty to have with idlis. And more to that they are always handy when you run out of stock to prepare your chutneys. Some times, I rather eat my idlis just for the sake of the podis.


I prepare the podis rich in dhal content, and so they are good to have. Along with the dry chillies, they still arent too spicy when dhals are added to give a nutty spice flavor. When I was in my childhood days, I just have podis even for my curd rice. Grind this and store in air tight containers for about 6 months. But I tell you, you are not going to let them stay there so long. They get exhausted as early in a month.



Idli Milagai Podi
(Print this Recipe)

You need:
100 gm Dry red chillies
150 gm Channa dhal
150 gm Urad dhal
25 gm white sesame seeds
1 tsp Hing
Salt to taste

Dry roast the above ingredients individually. Do not roast the dhals dark brown, but slightly golden or until the rawness goes. Also roast the sesame seeds well, until the rawness completely goes off or it is going to give your podi the blank taste of sesame seeds.
Grind all the above to a fine powder. I prefer to grind with very small bits of dhals here and there. I like that taste when I have it with my idlis or dosas.
Mix with oil, while you eat and enjoy with idli or dosas.

11 comments:

  1. Nice one. I too do this the same way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. Its an absolute must have in our house. But grandma makes it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I have chutneys, it's nice to have at least one idly with podi..

    ReplyDelete
  4. love to have with hot idli's along with a cup of filter coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful podi with delicious flavors !!

    Ongoing event CC-Dish For Loved Ones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our molagai podi is coarser and spicier! :) Helpful post..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prepare this too and is a perfect side to idli and dosai. I brought the neem flower from India :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...