Friday, August 19, 2011

Gobi Paratha

I love parathas, what ever be the filling. Rather than the routine rotis, I prefer to have parathas. It is very easy that they can be had with curd or pickle.
When my mom was with me last time, I never tried to be in kitchen. And now I never let her in, and love to cook all that I can for her. My mom is a great lover of Gobis and she enjoys all dishes made out of it! So I thought I would try Gobi Parathas. When I was looking for recipes on cookbooks, I came across some recipes which is layered parathas. Somehow I dint want to try that now, rather I adopted the traditional method to prepare the Parathas. I would surely try the layered one ssometime later.



You need:

Cauliflower - 1 cup minced
Onion - 1/4 cup, minced
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Oil to saute
Salt - to taste

Heat oil in a skillet, add the cumin powder or the seeds. Once cumin splutters, add the onion and saute unitl the onions are golden brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste (i nalways use fresh minced ginger and garlic). Next add the garam masala, chilli powder and salt to taste. Mix well and then add the miced cauliflower. Cook this on low flame with covered for about 10 mins. You can sprinkle very little water. There should not be too much of water as it will make the roti mushy.
It should like this -
You can add some paneer for an added taste. And finally add finely chopped coriander leaves.


We need to make the dough. We will need 4-5 cups atta/whole wheat flour, salt and a little warm water. Mix in the salt and add water little by little to the atta to make a firm dough. Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
Make lime-sized balls. While you make the dough into small balls, make the gobi masala also into small balls so that they should be 1/2 the size of the dough balls. And then roll out each dough to a circle. Now fill in the gobi masala and close the dough and press it flat. Then again roll out to a circle.

Little of the masala might come out, it is ok. It often comes out for me. Sometimes I tend to keep more of the masala and it muddles so badly, oops! It happens every time I prepare Parathas, and still I love to prepare the way they come for me.
Now you can cook them on hot griddle. First cook one side, then go to other side. Make sure you take them when they are golden brown. Don't forget to add a pickle or little curd.
 I made methi chutney to dip in the parathas. And they were just great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...