Thursday, October 20, 2011

Boondi Laddu

Laddu is one of the most liked sweets by Sundar. Ofcourse, this gives the reason for me to prepare this every Diwali. When I think of Laddu, only Tirupathi Laddu comes to my mind. Tirupathi laddu is something that everyone always craves for. I tell you, how much ever Tirupathi laddu we eat, we want more and more. 
I have never achieved to taste equal to that, but it still tastes good! 

This recipe is not my own creation, but I prepared from the laddus I ate earlier and prepared my style of it and ofcourse it did come out well!

You need
Boondi - 2-4 cups
Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Kaju - a handful (15 cashews approx)
raisins - 1 handful
cloves - 6-8 pieces
pacha karpuram - a pinch

1. Add Sugar to the pan to make the syrup. Now add water so that sugar is just immersed. And heat till a thin syrup is formed, no thread like consistency. Just little thick syrup.
2. Now transfer the boondhi as you prepare to the syrup.
3. Add the other ingredients and mix well. The mixture should not be watery. It should be thick enough to hold the laddu. If you want the boondies to be really mashed, go ahead and mash them.

4. Hold the laddu tight to make round shape. And keep aside. 

Serve Laddu once it cools. Have yummy yummy laddus on this great day!
I prepare this always for Diwali! Initially I felt, this sweet doesnt sound special to prepare for Diwali but the way Sundar and Hasini enjoyed this made me feel I make it a point that Laddu should be part of Diwali sweets every year!

To Prepare boondhi
Gram flour - 2cups
oil - 1/4 kg
cardamom powder- 2 tsb
Water 2 cups
Perforated spoon

1. Take 2 glasses of gram flour, and add 2 cups of water and mix it well until there are no dumplings.
2. Add the cardamom powder. And mix it well. The batter should be slightly thinner to the Idli batter.
3. It is very important to use a perforated spoon. The holes should not be too big or too small.
4. Heat oil in a wide pan until smoky.
5. Hold the spoon 1 inch above the oil and pour some batter on the spoon. Tap very lightly at edge of spoon to allow small droplets to fall in the oil. (If the batter is watery, then the it will not fall as balls or if the batter is not falling through the spoon then add little water to the boondi to fall down in round shape)
6. Keep adding the boondi in oil until the pan is entirely filled.
7. Stir the boondis in the oil gently and do not fry crisp. as crispy boondis will not taste great for laddus. Drain and add to sugar syrup.
8. Repeat this until you finish with the entire batter. 


I'm sending this as entry for Krithis kitchen for festival potluck
 

to Khusi's My Diwali My Way




Diwali - "Festival Of LIGHTS" - Event Aug 31st to Oct 31st


1 comment:

  1. Hi Vidhya,
    First time here,following you dear.Please do drop at my space, time permits.Glad that you are in NJ,i was in NJ till last june,now I moved to Allentown PA but I come to NJ frequently.Your Laddo looks tempting and yummy.
    Cheers
    Nalini

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...